Parent Directory | Revision Log
Make a note about the kernel upgrade before the full dist-upgrade
Remove reference to aptitude upgrade as, in etch, will cause large chunks of the desktop to go away
Make a point that no sources should point to &oldrelease
Document the availability of different desktop tasks
Fix build errors
First version of the section of minimal-upgrade
Add comment about update warnings
Add unmarkauto steps (first version)
Add paragraph suggesting the use of a remote serial console
A reboot is certainly probable in this upgrade
Comment related to utf8-migration-tool
Improve section with system improvements
Add the total count of packages in there
Improvements in introduction
Add two sections describing how to send bug and upgrade reports
The security team says this iapplies to rebranded versions, so we keep this paragraph. Added note on rebranding here too.
Separate regressiones from improvements
Comment on dpkg -l use
Remove stderr redirection and shorten pathnames, otherwise it goes to the margin in PDF files
Lilo is not the default for all installations, only for some
The issue with the change of the default editor is different from what was described
Some minor corrections
Typos spotted by faw
Review the software changes and rewrite it somewhat more
Added a FIXME
Note the number and date of sarge's last point release
Sketches of the things changed for new installs
Add more information: - Xfce added to the desktop stuff - list some of the most common server applications - new section on secureapt, referencing further information but could be expanded - new section to describe system improvements in new installs that users upgrading will not see
Fix error in HTML comments
Describe the simplification in email configuration as requested in #404421
Note the simplification in localization, countrychooser and timezeone selection in d-i
Added secure apt support as a major change in d-i
Document the fact that udev does ifrename work also, as suggested in #400886
Add KDE specific information
Section on home and some information about aptitude that might be useful for the 2.6 upgrade
First attempt at describing the 2.6.8 to 2.6.18 upgrade, still unpolished
Added some more info to another common issue when upgrading kernels
Expand the information related to Lilo as, based on debian-user, this seems to be a common problem
Adjust numbers, highlight the number of REMOVED packages, which is really large
Removed TODO, numbers are more or less precise now
Note the languages available in d-i, thanks to Christian Perrier for the info, see http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2007/03/msg00103.html
Added a comment regarding the update aptitude section
Describe how to best view script files (Debian bug #400725)
Disambiguiate (sp?) popcon text (Debian bug 402980)
Fix typos spotted by Clytie Siddall (Debian bug 406161)
Remove obsolete references to XFree86
Mention the change in the default editor
Remove current from desktop applications, as they are not current, and add Koffice
Adjust the numbers for the etch release
Document the fact that lilo needs to be rerun after an upgrade, even if the kernel is not updated, there are some situations in which failing to do this leaves a system unbootable (Debian bug #337779)
Document the way to avoid installing udev, for those that do not want it (not recommended, though)
Improved (?) phrase
Added reference to the other bug in Debian's BTS
Add additional information: pointer to the other Kernel bug and some other models known to have issues
Added patch provided by Steve Langasek to document fan issues in some HP models
Fixed a typo (bug 415289), reported by Charles Brockman <email@example.com>.
Fix Exim README URL
Minor improvements by Luca Brivio.
First part of corrections from #406161, thanks Clytie.
Fixed a few minor issues reported by nori.
Fix two minor errors; unfuzzy Vietnamese translation while we're at it
Mark section about automatic poweroff i386 only
Fix another small typo
Fix five typos [FrÃ©dÃ©ric Bothamy]
- Fix typo in bug number. Thanks to Miguel Gea Milvaques for spotting the error - Remove reference to upgrading xfree86 as we already have a section on upgrading to xorg and there seems to be no replacement for the README that was referenced
Improve sentence explaining switch from apt-get to aptitude
- Change heading of first chapter to 'Introduction' and add some introductory paras - Add changes in Debian Installer
- Move reference to chapter 5 to beginning of chapter 4 - Drop section on upgrading doc-base - General review of recent changes - Use variables where possible, mainly to ensure consistency
Some minor d-i related changes
Fixed a typo, thanks FrÃ©dÃ©ric Bothamy
Fixed five further typos found by Kobayashi Noritada <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Fixed two typos, thanks to Kobayashi Noritada <email@example.com>
make TODO number update visible
spelling fixes from Frédéric Bothamy
Fix heading for dropped 386 kernel flavour
Fixed three typos, thanks to Kobayashi Noritada
document that upgrade order is not yet final
add FIXME instead of just letting the link disappear
replace some details about ia64 device reordering with a link to a more verbose mail
mozillas limited security support; #390441
php globals etc; #398437
more on devfs->udev, new device names
integrate kernel release notes
use Debian Reference, not Debian Guide
apache-section is about apache2
merge pre-requirements to Preparing for the upgrade, add check for space; #363468
mdadm upgrade tweaks; #389099
apt pdiff support
prerequisites: glibc does not support 2.2 anymore, #367925
add network issues
add network issues
more on X.Org, see #395557
add info about exim->exim4 migration
add link from issues to "be aware during upgrade"
add documentation about X.Org, and myself as author
Fixed a duplicated word, thanks to Kobayashi Noritada
A few improvements by Clytie, fixes #397296.
Fix typo. Thanks to Miguel Gea.
Some relatively minor updates and changes
Move end of condition to fix build error for some arches
- Correct change by robster re popcon: sarge did not install it by default - Add section on volatile becoming an official service - Whitespace cleanup
Merge etch branch into HEAD. (I hope...)
Revert previous commit. There is no reason to fix these issues (which were committed to support creating PO files) in the Sarge version.
Fixes [Thomas Huriaux]
Minor layout correction suggested by Luca Brivio
fixed a typo spotted by Nobuhiro IMAI <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Fix forgotten typo
Fix typo (thanks Tapio Lehtonen)
Another punctuation typo (for AMD64)
Fix punctuation typo
Minor corrections. Thanks to Luca Brivio.
Apply patch from Frédéric Bothamy with minor fixes
Properly document how to check and set hold status for aptitude (#312351)
Minor typo fix
- Minor reorganization of AMD64 paras. - Add section with changes since the original publication. - Add installation issue with DHCP for Cobolt machines. - Document upgrading from raidtools2 to mdadm. - Kernel update defaults to abort, not to continue: also change this in the 2nd place where this occurs.
Add arch AMD64 (based on patch from Frederik Schueler)
Minor corrections to Release Notes: - Change para on only supporting upgrades from previous release; thanks Thomas Hood and Donald Teed. - Change introduction on 2.4 to 2.6 upgrades to fix #312633; thanks John Bradshaw. - Improve text on 2.6 sound configuration (ALSA); thanks Thomas Hood. - Kernel update defaults to abort, not to continue (appendix); thanks Thiemo Seufer.
avoid doubled slash in URL
For all translations at 1.53: - replace package "popcon" by "popularity-contest" - replace program "typescript" by "script"
- Patch from Frank Lichtenheld that fixes a problem in the kernel upgrade instructions for HPPA (thanks Martin Zobel-Helas for testing) - Add new para about saving user settings during preparation - Add workaround suggestion for massive removals during upgrade of aptitude - Improvement in text on udev
- Fix entity reference missing closing semicolon (thanks Luca Brivio) - Minor other changes
- Correction of broken URL (thanks to Frédéric Bothamy) - Some minor other changes
- dpkg --audit does not list held packages. - Document how to solve file conflicts.
Fix inconsistency with regard to aptitude
- Add disclaimer about debian-volatile - Move paragraph about arcboot installation for SGI IP22 from appendix to chapter 4 - Add instruction to check sources.list in kernel upgrade appendix
- Correct references to X Window System - White space cleanup in appendix
Complete restructurization of the upgrade-kernel part to adapt it to the new structure of the upgrade chapter and to include user feedback: - Add instructions how to upgrade Mipsen machines with using only apt since not everyone might be able or supposed to use dpkg -i - Describe how to get the kernel images with the apt based upgrade path - Move all names and links that are likely to change with point releases to release-notes.ent - Move some package names to release-notes.ent so that we can merge big parts of the hppa and sparc guidelines
- Major reorganization for the Upgrade packages chapter. - Add new section Checking system status. - Add new section Unofficial sources and backports. - Section Upgrading the kernel moved one level up and down after section on Checking system status. - Refer to releases by codename rather that status name; explain why. - Add some more info on the typescript (like how to stop it). - Split section Upgrading packages into subsections. - Add new subsection on upgrading aptitude before the main dist-upgrade. - Use 'apt-get update' instead of 'apt-get upgrade'. - Some arches don't have aptitude in Woody, so exceptions needed for those. - Add new appendix on how to upgrade/install packages for the _old_ release. - Use # before most commands to indicate they are/should be run as root. - Various minor editorial and whitespace changes. - Add myself as author.
m68k has both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels available; atari partitions not supported by d-i
Review of patch by jfs; whitespace cleanup, some minor corrections
Added information on obsolete and dummy packages (without the unwieldy lists)
- Update text on aptitude being preferred over apt-get/dselect - Ask users to install popcon on new installations as, for Sarge, it is not installed by default - More information on upgrading to 2.6 kernel (thanks to Vincent McIntyre for the review and patch) - Document bug #255744 (X server can fail to start if psmouse module managed by hotplug)
- There are 2.6 kernels available for some archs even if not supported by the installer. Therefore add some extra variables so upgrade instructions can be shown where relevant. - Add comment for hppa that they should also install lvm2 on kernel upgrade if they use LVM.
- Apply corrections from patch by Jens Seidel - Add info on what to do on "Dynamic MMap ran out of room" - Add a lot more information on upgrading to a 2.6 kernel - Some other minor editorial changes
- Remove setcion on SSH that was relevant for Woody but not Sarge - Minor revision of a link
- Make text for non-US stronger as no packages will be left at release time. - Add two links to new web page for d-i stable. - Add new kernel upgrade instructions for mips and mipsel. Thanks to Frank Lichtenheld and Martin Zobel-Helas for all their work! - Add some missing tags.
Fix typo that makes nonsense of a sentence
Get rid of some weird non-ascii characters in the source somewhere
- Add section about non-us being phased out - Revised information on debian-installer - Add paragraph about alpha installation (requires SRM console) - Add section on issue using X on Transmeta Crusoe systems - Use variables for release names where possible - Some other minor revisions
Add pre-upgrade kernel upgrade instructions from Frank Lichtenheld
Update information about irc.debian.org
Mention the amazing number of translations for Debian Installer; based on patch from Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña
Apply patch from jfs introducing unversioned kernel-image packages
- Move section "What's new in the distribution?" up before "What's new in the installation system?" - Add para on new/updates/removed software (based on patch by jfs) - Introduce new service debian-volatile - Update number of CDs
Minor fix to sect1 -> sect of commented sections
Minor fixes in last update
Added instructions that doc-base should be upgraded before proceeding with the rest of the upgrade.
Applied a grammatical fix from Frans Pop.
Moved the section on the sparc installation issues around.
More editorial fixes. Moved the instructions on installing aptitude to a more sensible place.
Whoops. More editorial munging.
Editorial munging. Bit of reordering and tweaking. Included bit about python-profiler module from Adeodato SimÃ³.
Applied patch from Frans Pop regarding changes to the input system and also some sparc specific issues.
Removed erroneous "--with-suggests" option from command line for aptitude.
Some additional comments for review
Script should point to the releasename
Fixed typo and reference to old documentation (in which an upgrade of apt/dpkg was needed)
applied patch from Frans Pop which fixes the location (and spelling) of the Debian Installation Guide
Removed indentation and unnecessary empty lines in examples since the indentation in examples is used in the output (plus additional space) as well. Especially the .txt, .ps, .pdf formats are improved this way, since they have fixed text width.
added URL of i386 port page, it exists since more than 4 years (surprised?), replaced bogus entity conditional "<![ %hppa %s390 %mips %mipsel %ia64 [" by "<![ %secondrelease [", minor improvements
We're releasing with GNOME 2.8 and KDE 3.3 now.
applied a patch from Nobuhiro IMAI <email@example.com> which fixes a few typos
Disabled the possibly misleading section regarding the German quotes section at the request of GOTO Masanori <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Added details of problems with German quotes.
Error fix from Frans Pop <email@example.com>.
Some sarge fixes.
Removed appendix since I think this is daft.
Added patch provided by Frans Pop
Removed the spurious mentions of deslect and apt-get.
Merging sarge onto HEAD.
This form allows you to request diffs between any two revisions of this file. For each of the two "sides" of the diff, enter a numeric revision.
|Powered by ViewVC 1.1.5|